Musings on Faith

I have faith that chocolate will make me feel better. I have faith that my friends will be there for me. I have faith that when I press the power button my computer will hum to life and I can get my work done.

However, this is not true faith because all these good things can fail—and I know it. Some dark moods are unmoved by even the darkest of chocolate. Friends can be busy, out of town, or distracted by their own troubles. Computers can crash.

Hebrews 11:1 tells us: “Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen” (NASB). True faith leads us to the omnipresent God for comfort to break any mood. True faith leads us to the omniscient God for advice, because His wisdom never fails. True faith leads us to the omnipotent God for power to complete any job He gives us.

But “faith without deeds is dead” (James 2:26), not because deeds lead to faith but because deeds prove the depth of our faith. Do I really trust God to provide for me financially if I’m unwilling to tithe? Do I really believe God will give me the power to do any task He gives me if I’m only willing to serve where I know I can do so in my own strength? Do I really have faith if I refuse to sacrifice time to read my Bible, pray, and worship Him?

As we look forward to a new year and a new decade, let’s put our faith in the only One who never fails. And let our faith be shown true by our actions.

Labels: