Book Beat - Love Finds You in Victory Heights

Readers often tell me they want to read more novels set during World War II, so I thought I'd share some of the wonderful books out there.

I've always admired Tricia Goyer for her meticulous research and engaging writing, so I couldn't wait to read Love Finds You in Victory Heights, Washington (Summerside Press, 2010), co-written with Ocieanna Fleiss. I wasn't disappointed. Hey, you can't go wrong with a B-17 Flying Fortress on the cover!

Rosalie Madison works at the Boeing plant in Seattle, Washington assembling B-17s. When a newspaper article by reporter Kenny Davenport dubs her "Seattle's Own Rosie the Riveter," she balks at the unwanted attention from the public - and from the handsome reporter.

The story is sweet, the romance charming, and the supporting characters are a kick. Wartime Seattle, especially the neighborhood of Victory Heights, comes to life, and I seriously want to take swing-dancing lessons after reading about Kenny and Rosalie jitterbugging at the Igloo. Seriously. Sadly my sweet husband's one and only fault is a dancing impairment.

I'm impressed with Tricia and Ocieanna's ability to tell a good story, supported but never overpowered by solid research. This story was a lot of fun.

Labels: , ,