Hesitate....or Go?

A call from God can be a scary thing. He asks you to do something new, weird, or dangerous—something you feel ill-equipped to do. Something that might turn your life upside-down.

Imagine Moses at the burning bush when God tells him to leave his life of shepherding, return to Egypt where he murdered a man, talk to Pharaoh, and bring the Israelites out of Egypt and into the Promised Land. New, weird, dangerous. Moses felt ill-equipped, and God’s task would turn his life upside-down.

Moses has objections. God answers them. And I paraphrase from Exodus chapters 3 and 4…
Moses: “Who am I to do this?”
God: “I will be with you.”
Moses: “Who shall I say sent me?”
God: “Say that the God of your fathers, ‘I AM WHO I AM’ sent you.”
Moses: “What if they don’t believe me?”
God gives Moses three miraculous signs for proof the Lord sent him.
Moses: “But I’m slow of speech and tongue.”
God: “Go! I will help you speak.”
Moses: “Please send someone else.”
Then God’s anger burned. He sent Moses’ brother Aaron to be his spokesman.

A little hesitation is normal and appropriate. After all, we have to make sure the plan comes from the Lord and not our own imagination. God honors those questions. But at a certain point, we need to bypass our fears, step out in faith, and act. The Lord will equip us for any assignment He gives us.

When God called me to write, it was definitely new and weird for this pharmacist/stay-at-home mom. I was completely unequipped, and even my early forays into writing turned my household upside-down. But whenever I found myself hesitating, I repeated God’s words to Moses in Exodus 4:12: “‘Now go; I will help you speak and will teach you what to say.’” That became my theme verse as I ventured into the strange new world of the publishing industry.

Are you facing a new, weird, or dangerous assignment from God? What can you learn from Moses?

Labels: , , ,